Re: HSDPA connexion for the dummies ?

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 14:30:57 +0100 (CET)
"Joel Carnat" <joel%carnat.net@localhost> wrote:

> >> When I plug it, I get :
> >
> > Rightt, uhmodem is another candidate. At some point we should decide
> > which driver is better :)
> >
> >> The modem is blinking blue.
> >
> > That might be ok.
> >
> >> # pppd
> >> Serial connection established.
> >> Using interface ppp0
> >> Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyU0
> >> Modem hangup
> >> Connection terminated.
> >
> > Try "pppd debug" in that case.
> >

> already done it but it doesn't say more things :(
>
> looking for "ucom0" in google, I found
> http://sun.hasenbraten.de/~frank/docs/netbsd_umts.html.
>
> I added the /etc/remote line, using the baudrate you gave me and
> issued the "tip ucom0" command. I entered the tested commands and it
> replies things that looked like the same as in the doc :)

I don't know about HSDPA; with EVDO, my connection will drop if the
machine tries to emit packets with the "wrong" source address.  (This
is apparently in the EVDO spec.)  So -- a connection drops, I dial
back, open TCP sessions resend, causing the connection to drop, ad
infinitum.

Instead, I have an ip-up script that creates an IPF filter to block all
other packets from the link; this is removed via ip-down.  It's worked
quite well.  You may want to investigate that option.