Re: Please read if you use x86 -current

On 13-Nov-2008, at 4:35 AM, Andrew Doran wrote:

The mount command already autoloads file system modules. There is no
automatic unload.

Why no automatic unload? This is effectively a memory leak, though of course it's not one that will tend to grow uncontrollably, but still it's like forgetting to free memory the program no longer needs.

In fact when you say things like this I really have to wonder what the whole point, or rather what all the reasons are, for doing this particular implementation you've embarked upon are. When you say things like this it makes it sound as though it's just an academic exercise with no real attention being paid to real-world and operational concerns. I'm not saying that this is the case, but there seem to have been enough questions by various people which result in answers like this to at least give the easy possibility of it being perceived as so.

So, what are the actual design goals and parameters of this project? If it's so simple as "GENERIC is too big and bloated again" then why are you barging ahead with an implementation which may not actually meet all the real-world requirements others might have of a similar feature?

Sorry if I'm going only by what I've read in this thread an the "kmods" thread and reaching the wrong conclusions -- but I haven't yet seen any direct reference to a more detailed design or specification or requirements analysis, etc.

--
                                        Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
                                        <woods%planix.ca@localhost>