Re: mount_overlay info

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008, Bill Stouder-Studenmund wrote:
> Since the overlay just passes commands along, it does not change behavior.
> Except that you could probably have a read-only overlay on top of a
> read-write file system and NFS export the read-only overlay.

I haven't tried mixing it with NFS, but you can certainly convert a
local directory tree to read-only via

        mount -t overlay -o rdonly / /path/to/desired/tree

The first non-option argument ("/" in the above example) has to be a
directory that exists, but I don't know the reason for this.  I would
have expected any arbitrary string to work.

--apb (Alan Barrett)