First, the reason I had no VT's was that I had deleted the line from
the rc.conf file.

Now on to the next items.

#1. I can't log into VT 1.  It's like I have 2 terminals both attached
to the same device.
Looking in the /etc/ttys file, I have a console and a constty device,
both.  Should both be enabled?  Seems like if I comment out the constty
device, it works a little better.

#2. Using Xorg.  When in X, I can't switch to any of the VT's either.
Seen that comment before.  Any guesses on what it is?  I have the
commands in the ServerFlags part of the config file, didn't help me
either.

#3. Using xdm to log into X, it doesn't seem to initialize the
environment properly.  Looks basically like login scripts aren't being
run.

David

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 16:41:28 -0600
> "David Dudley" <DavidDu%cctexas.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> > Just installed 5.99.01 on an old Dell  Optiplex P.O.S.
> >
> > Things seem to work OK, but I don't have any VT's either in bash or
in
> > x11.
> >
> > Something I need to turn on somewhere?
> >
> Did you turn them on in /etc/ttys?

Did you install using the TINY kernel on i386? If so, sysinst commented

out the screen (and maybe mux) entries in your wscons.conf and also
sysinst never enabled your terminals in /etc/ttys.

(On i386 and amd64, the ttys are enabled by sysinst, unless using TINY

kernel.)
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
X-GWTYPE:USER