Re: Color symbols problem w/ native xorg under current

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 03:17:55PM +0100, Marcin M. Jessa wrote:
> Peter Bex wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Now I have xorg up and running, and removed the pkgsrc xorg, I noticed
> > a really strange problem: Named colors can be used, but direct
> > rgb specifications are not recognised properly.  For example:
> >
> > $ xterm -fg green
> >
> > works without problems (and shows a green foreground color), while
> > this happens with a color specification:
> >
> > $ xterm -fg \#2a9
> > Warning: Color name "#2a9" is not defined
> >
> > Even stranger is the fact that xterm continues to start up and displays
> > the blueish color that 2a9 is.
> >
> > xdpyinfo tells me I'm on a 24 bits default visual, and multimedia/mplayer
> > and www/links-gui display high-color pictures just fine.
> >
> > twm (from pkgsrc, as the base one has problems with its default config
> > file, apparently) also complains: invalid color name "rgb:2/a/9"
> >
> > This is on macppc, with userland from ~two days ago.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Peter
> >
> I can see that on 5.0_BETA too.

This is not as harmless as it may seem; some applications just refuse
to work properly. For example, wmii does not allow color names, only
color numbers, but it uses the internal name function so wmii is unusable.
dmenu (which belongs to wmii) does not even start up.

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx