Re: cvs co -r netbsd-5 brings back some Attic files

On 1-Nov-2008, at 10:37 AM, Alan Barrett wrote:

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008, Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. wrote:
The fact that the netbsd-4 branch isn't on these files, though some
other private branch tags are, is disturbing though -- it suggests the
problem is much more recent that it might otherwise seem.

That could be explained by the difference between using "cvs tag" on
a checked-out version of current (not including the weird files), and
using "cvs rtag" in a way that does include the weird files.

Hmmm... yes, "cvs rtag" would do it.

There may be some assumption in cvs now that files in attic
directories will always have their head revision marked dead, but once
upon a time the "dead" state was not used (though I don't remember if
that was recent enough to affect the files in question).

Are you saying that, in some old version of cvs, deleting a file may
have moved it to the Attic without changing the "head" revision number
and without creating a new revision with "state dead"?

Partly -- I don't remember exactly when, but the use of the "dead" state is a slightly more recent feature. I'm too lazy at the moment to check the CVS release notes and repository, but my vague recollection is that it came along after 1994.

--
                                        Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
                                        <woods%planix.ca@localhost>