Re: System hangs during boot when usb printer is plugged in

  Whenever I plug in my usb printer (HP Deskjet F2180), the system hangs
  during boot just after some ehci related messages are printed, eg

  ehci0 at pci0 dev 3 function 3: Silicon Integrated System 7002 USB 2.0
  host controller (rev. 0x00)
  ehci0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 23, event channel 9
  ehci0: EHCI version 1.0
  ehci0: companion controllers, 2 ports each: ohci0 ohci1 ohci2
  usb3 at ehci0: USB revision 2.0
  ehci0: handing over full speed device on port 1 to ohci0
  [hang]

  If I unplug the printer and then boot, everything works alright.

  I am using NetBSD-4.99.72/i386. The printer used to work with NetBSD 4.
  What is worth mentioning is that NetBSD-4.99.72/XEN0 works like a charm. See:

  [stathis@netbsd ~] uname -a
  NetBSD netbsd 4.99.72 NetBSD 4.99.72 (XEN3_DOM0) #0: Fri Aug 29
  23:49:07 EEST 2008
  root@netbsd:/usr/obj/sys/arch/i386/compile/XEN3_DOM0 i386
  [stathis@netbsd ~] dmesg | grep ulpt
  ulpt0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 1
  ulpt0: HP Deskjet F2100 series, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2, iclass 7/1
  ulpt0: using bi-directional mode
  [stathis@netbsd ~]

I would try plugging the printer in while already up.  If you can run
remote gdb from another box that would help.  There are some USB
debugging options to turn on.  It is certainly odd that XEN3_DOM0 works
but GENERIC does not.  You might diff the USB parts of those configs to
see if you spot anything.  Presumably with xen you still get the
'handing over' but then you get a probe on ohci0.