Re: aac(4) and multiple ld(4)s

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Allen Briggs wrote:
On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 08:57:06AM +0100, Stephen Borrill wrote:
On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Allen Briggs wrote:
This patch doesn't quite work for me.  Both of my controllers support
64-bit arrays, but neither has one above 2TB and the 64-bit quirk isn't
set.

I needed to modify it so that I can accept a VM_NameServe response
that's 4 bytes less than the size of aac_mntinforesponse.  My adjustment
to your patch is here:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/briggs/aac64bit.diff2

Do you get the "Enable raw I/O" and/or "Enable 64-bit array support"
messages?

Yes.  The first.  On my Adaptec SCSI controller.  On my Dell CERC
SATA controller, neither:
aac0 at pci2 dev 6 function 0: Adaptec ASR-2200S
aac0: interrupting at ioapic1 pin 0
aac0: Enabling 64-bit address support
aac0: Enable raw I/O

I've uploaded a new version of the patch to:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/sborrill/aac64bit.diff

Unlike the previous one, this actually appears to work. This adds support for raw I/O (the message shown above flagged that raw I/O should be used, but there was no support) which needs to be used for arrays > 2TB otherwise very bad things happen as block addresses are only 32-bit otherwise:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2008/09/25/msg002036.html

The "Enable raw I/O" message is now printed with aprint_debug so won't normally be seen. However the crucial message is really "Enable 64-bit array support" (which implies raw I/O anyway).

--
Stephen