wscons vs /usr/X*/bin/resize?

I am running a freshly installed 4.99.72 host and can reliably lock
the machine solid after logging in to the text console and running
/usr/X11R6/bin/resize, either from a local binary or from a remote
host ... presumably something in the wscons terminal driver no longer
likes the escape sequence that resize sends in order to determine the
parameters of the terminal ...

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour? I don't see the same effect from
xterm or rxvt sessions - for a while I was suspecting tcsh as I have
resize in my .login, which was extremely annoying ... :)

screen's 'fit-to-terminal' command seems to work still ... resize when
run under screen doesn't provoke the lockup, which makes sense ...

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch%mjch.net@localhost                                                left