Re: my build issues

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
> Alan Barrett <apb%cequrux.com@localhost> writes:
> > From my point of view, the problem is that the rules for choosing the
> > obj directory (and the tools directory) are so complicated that build.sh
> > has very little chance of figuring them out.  The directory name could
> > be just about anything depending on several variabels in mk.conf and the
> > environment.
>
> I wonder, why these rules are hardcoded into make(1) rather than
> left to make scripts (files)?

The subset of the rules that are hardcoded in make(1) is well
documented, although it's much more complex than I would like.  Search
for .OBJDIR in the make(1) man page.  Most of the code that creates
directories or symlinks or sets variables to influence how make(1) will
choose an obj directory is in bsd.obj.mk

> Is make(1) incomplete??

In general, yes, almost all man pages could usefully be expanded.  In
particular on the topic of choice of .OBJDIR, I think the documentation
is accurate and adequate.

--apb (Alan Barrett)