Re: my build issues

Alan Barrett wrote:
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008, Sarton O'Brien wrote:
I understand why it's a symlink but maybe it should be explained more
clearly in the documentation, seeing as the /usr/src/obj symlink is
created automatically, if someone doesn't provide that patch of course
:) ... autocreation seems to make sense, based on the existence of
that symlink.

There's not always a symlink.  The dir name is not always /usr/obj or
/usr/src/obj.  The documentation is spread out all over the place.

I have an interest in making build.sh do the right thing, but I have
no interest in figuring out how the many complex rules interact.  If
somebody else can figure out what the rules are, and document them in a
complete and readable way, then I can make build.sh do the right thing.
Until then, I'll keep on saying "don't rely on the complex rules; pass
explicit -O and -T flags to build.sh".

That sounds completely fair. Having to predefine as a requirement seems a lot simpler.

It's funny, the confusion arises when attempting to make the process a little easier.

Warnings always work well :) ... even if it's that you have no predefinition of a tools or obj location.

Thanks for clearing that up for me at least. Not that I've ever really had a problem with the symlink though :) ... or the process in general.

Sarton