Re: character duplication in X

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 09:33:48AM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> Running an amd64 kernel from this morning (but an old userland), I'm
> having trouble with character duplication when typing in X.  (I haven't
> tried it not in X.)  It especially (but not exclusively) happens when
> something else is running, such as a build.sh -- I'll tap a key and get
> (literally) hundreds of characters.  I've seen it most often in my
> mailer (claws-mail, which uses gtk2), but I've also seen it in Firefox
> and (I think, a few days ago) in xterms.  It makes the system almost
> unusable.  Has anyone else seen anything like this?

        hmm.. I saw that recently too, but I figured it had something to
do with the odd usb keyboard I was using, or the kvm switch I had
connected.  The problem "fixed" itself when I plugged in a ps/2
keyboard, so I didn't think much of it.

I think I saw the problem with the kernel from around August 30th,
but I can try again with a more recent one later today.

eric