Re: Lock up's on USB transfer

At Fri, 12 Sep 2008 01:45:10 +0100,
raymond meyer wrote:

> On Thursday 11 September 2008 16:53:33 Swift Griggs wrote:
> > Not to be negative, but I've also had the same experience. USB+msdos/vfat
> > == crashes & fs-lockouts. ie.. Either the storage locks up or the machine
> > does. I've also noticed that USB+msdos_fs is orders of magnitude slower
> > than ffs/lfs/ext2 on the same unit. I know it's an ineffecient FS, but not
> > 200%+ slower.
>
> I'm using a recent NettBSD-current on sparc64 hardware and I never had
> lockups
> with USB. Maybe it's something related to a particular USB driver? I use a
> Belkin PCI USB card and I regularly transfer music and image files to/from
> USB sticks formated with FAT32 filesystem. Never had any issues with it.

I use 4.0-RC1/i386 on an amd-based desktop and 4.99.72 on a Core 2
Duo-based laptop. On both I use (different) USB hard disks to which I
regularly backup using rsync. Furthermore, I frequently use USB
memory sticks (from several different vendors) on these machines,
several (different) digital cameras and a TomTom One 3rd edition. I
have yet to see any issues with reading or writing any data to these
devices.

Have you excluded other causes?

Best regards,

Marko