Re: Noisy ipmi0 after bootup? (really other kernel noise)

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Simon Burge wrote:

I'm not sure if this qualifies.  With an August 23 kernel, I get these
during a boot:

    ipmi0: critical over limit on 'Fan8/CPU2'
    ipmi0: critical over limit on 'Fan7/CPU1'
    ipmi0: critical over limit on 'Fan6'
    ipmi0: critical over limit on 'Fan5'
    ipmi0: critical over limit on 'Fan4'

This spew on to console about 10 or 15 seconds after init starts, and
happen even if I boot to single user mode (ie, no rc.d stuff involved at
all).

I suspect these are just unattached sensors?  They never change from:

        Fan8/CPU2:          0 RPM
        Fan7/CPU1:          0 RPM
             Fan6:          0 RPM
             Fan5:          0 RPM
             Fan4:          0 RPM

Well, that certainly qualifies as weird! It's rather hard to imagine how a fan running at 0 RPM could be over any critical limit! :)

Unattached sensors shouldn't generate alarms. Any chance you could check with a kernel from today to see if the initialization code I committed has any effect? Meantime I grovel through the code again looking for more clues.

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul%whooppee.com@localhost   |
| Network Engineer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%juniper.net@localhost |