Re: (Eee PC and) SolidState Disk and filesystems options

>  Hi
>  >
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  > I'm on my way to reinstall 4.99.72/i386 on my Eee PC 900 so I can try
>  > FFSv2+log. I read a few things about FS and SSD and wanted feedback
>  > from
>  > here...
>  >
>  > 1. One says "no swap partition on SSD". No problem for me, because I
>  > have
>  > 2Go of RAM and probably will never need swap. But can I still zzz(8)
>  > without a swap partition ? If not, can I zzz(8) with a swap file not
>  > on
>  > the SSD (on a SDHC for example) ?
>  >
>  > 2. One says "Never choose to use a journaling file system on the SSD
>  > partitions". Is FFSv2+log a bad idea with a SSD ? I don't see how
>  > journalising can generate more writes than a non-journalising FS ?
>  > Seems to me that journalising is even smarter regarding writes.
>

>  Journaling doesn't create to much writes but with journal you are
>  continuously rewriting small part of disk aka journal area.

Is journaling the same as log assisted (or at least really similar to)?

Isn't the point of journalling/logging to group writes to offset positional
latency on the device??  If so, an SSD should have the same latency no matter
where you position to on the device.  So an SSD eliminates (or at least
significantly) reduces the point of journalling  ... no?  Or am I in the wrong
discussion?

Paul