Re: libpthread problem in perl

On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 20:21:18 -0700, Paul Goyette wrote:

> I just updated several systems from 4.99.67 to 4.99.72 and it seems that
> there's a bit of a libpthread problem.  Specifically, perl-5.8.8 has
> started aborting with the following error:
>
> quicky:paul {109} zcat /var/log/authlog.1.gz | /etc/sshdict.perl
> perl: Error detected by libpthread: Invalid mutex.
> Detected by file "/build/src/lib/libpthread/pthread_mutex.c", line 141,
> function "pthread_mutex_destroy".
> See pthread(3) for information.
> Abort (core dumped)
> quicky:paul {110}

New 1:1 libpthread that was introduced in current along with new 1:1
threading was not binary compatible with the old SA libpthread from
4.0 b/c some structures changed their sizes.  As libstdc++ contains a
pthread mutex, it broke binary compatibility for C++ apps
(toolchain/38804).

Few days ago a fix was committed to current to pad new 1:1 libpthread
structures to match old SA libpthread to restore binary compatibility
for 4.0 apps.  Of course it broke binary compatibility with older 1:1
libpthread from current.  I guess a HEADS UP should have been posted
to current@ (hi, matt).

> So, some questions:
>
> 1. Is this expected behavior?

Yes, see above.

> 2. If I reinstall perl from pkgsrc, will the problem go away?

Yes.

> 3. If I reinstall, will I then have to reinstall all the p5-* packages?

At most the ones that has native code, I guess (I don't know it perl
XS ABI exposes this, or not).

SY, Uwe
--
uwe%stderr.spb.ru@localhost                       |       Zu Grunde kommen