Re: Planning for NetBSD 5.0

In article <alpine.NEB.1.10.0808012157560.15748%chris.i8u.org@localhost>,
Hisashi T Fujinaka  <htodd%twofifty.com@localhost> wrote:
>On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>

>> Marc Tooley <netbsdmlpostno%spam.quake.ca@localhost> writes:
>>> I am also curious about whether there are any tools the NetBSD
>>> developers use to monitor or access the source code: what does Thor,
>>> for example, use to develop and check stuff in in CVS? How do you
>>> monitor incoming changes? Are there notification scripts that core
>>> relies on primarily?
>>
>> Pretty much everyone just uses CVS and reads source-changes. There are
>> no special tracking tools that "normal people" don't have access to.
>
>Except the core mailing list that's quite opaque and makes decisions in
>secret. There's a good reason for the secrecy, but I wish some of the
>discussions on non-security issues would be made more public.
>
>Of course, I'm always ignored and "they" say no one complains about the
>secrecy of core.

The core mailing list has very little traffic, and core is only
consulted when there is a conflict between different parties. For
the most part these days the advice people get from core is "discuss
in tech-*". We also considered making the core minutes that are
sent to developers every two weeks public but nothing came out of
that (the discussion stopped before we made a decision). I will
bring this up again. There is nothing really in core minutes that
should be kept private. Finally there is the list of open-pr's for
5.0 which lives in:

        http://releng.netbsd.org/pr-list.html

I don't know if this has been made public before, but here it is again.

Best,

christos