Reboot fails with "dev not configured" error.

I updated a system to 4.99.70, and have suddenly come up with this
problem up rebooting.  When I initially rebooted, things worked fine.  A
few minutes later, the system failed to be able to access any files.  I
then rebooted the system, and in the process of restarting, the loader
will load the OS, it goes through the initial setup sequence, and then I
get a boot failure, saying it can't find /bin/sh.  When I press enter, I
end up in the shell, but with no disk.  Trying to access the disk fails,
and when I try to mount the thing, I get a 'device not configured'
error.

Is this system totally screwed, or is there some way I can get access
to the disk?  I've got (maybe it should be 'had) a few files on the
system I would really like to get back, if I can before completely
flushing the thing down the drain.

David Dudley
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1