Re: panic: bnx0 Double mbuf allocation failure!

Fredrik Carlsson wrote:
Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 10:27:27AM +0000, Fredrik Carlsson wrote:

We did a desperate upgrade to CURRENT in hope that this would fix the problem ;) The machine became much faster but as soon as we put some load on, it panics but still responds to ping. There is nothing in the logs after a power cycle.

Is there anything we can do to help troubleshoot this, would a DEBUG-kernel
help? We can supply ssh access if that would make it easier.

The load that causes this is a MySQL import over the network, a lot of CPU, disk
access and nfs. The machine panics after 30-60 minutes into the import.

Do you have the panic message, and eventually the stack trace ?

We don't have the panic message (no console access) but we are trying to create an usable core dump.

When we used a MP kernel gdb complained about "Cannot access memory at address 0xffff80005bfca6c0" so right now we have booted on one CPU and are trying to produce a panic, but so far it is stable. Before when we copied files over NFS it paniced several times a few GB into the copy but now it runs fine, perhaps this has to do with the MP-kernel?

Regards
Fredrik

Does this diff help ?
http://www.netbsd.org/~cegger/if_bnx.diff

This is a fix ported from FreeBSD via OpenBSD.
The OpenBSD diffs are:
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/dev/pci/if_bnx.c.diff?r1=1.63&r2=1.64
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/dev/pci/if_bnxreg.h.diff?r1=1.25&r2=1.26

OpenBSD's commit log:
Fixed a problem that would cause errors (especially when in low memory
systems) because the RX chain was corrupted when an mbuf was mapped to
an unexpected number of buffers.

From davidch@FreeBSD

Christoph