Re: trouble installing grub on -current amd64

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 03:42:19 pm Sarton O'Brien wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 03:26:22 pm Michael Litchard wrote:
> > This is a cross-post from netbsd-users and ports-amd64, a continuation
> > of a problem with grub
> > The saga continues
> > I had trouble getting grub to recognize the kernel
> > as an executable.
> > however, I now have this problem
> >
> > I am now running -current, as the Howto says you should
> > when using amd64# ktrace -f grub.out grub-install /dev/rwd0d
> > /usr/pkg/sbin/grub-install: Cannot execute ELF binary /usr/pkg/sbin/grub
>
> Was this an upgrade from i386 or such? That error loosely implies the binary
> has not been compiled for the system on which you are attempting to run it.
>
> > sed: /grub/device.map: No such file or directory
> > grep: /grub/device.map: No such file or directory
> > /dev/rwd0d does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.
> >
> > Here is something interesting from /var/log/messages
> >
> > Jun 18 00:46:26  /netbsd: cpu0: erratum 107 present
> > Jun 18 00:46:26  /netbsd: cpu0: WARNING: errata present, BIOS upgrade may
be
> > Jun 18 00:46:26  /netbsd: cpu0: WARNING: necessary to ensure reliable
> operation
>
> I believe (but could be wrong) that the guys playing with acpi and power
> management put that in there to alert a user of a buggy bios. I don't
_think_
> it will effect your grub install.
>
> There may be information I'm missing but the problem does simply appear to
be
> an incompatible binary. Id say a 'make update' in pkgsrc grub should fix it
> but like I said, I might not have all the info.

I'm a bit naive when it comes to amd64. I performed an upgrade from i386 and
never looked twice at grub. I've not since needed to run it manually so
didn't realise that there is no such thing as a 64bit version.

I'd say Michael van Elst is on the right track and you're probably missing a
kernel option or lib.

Forget I even replied ;)

Sarton