Re: sh -e changes broke pkgsrc

On 26 May 2008, at 12:44, Tobias Nygren wrote:

On Mon, 26 May 2008 02:41:05 +0000
David Holland <dholland-tech%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

# pwd
/usr/pkgsrc/graphics/png                (for example)
# make
*** Error 1
#

Reverting this weekend's sh -e changes cures this behavior.

Sounds like something in the change is wrong rather than in pkgsrc,
because neither Solaris, FreeBSD nor Linux have that error.

I don't know about FreeBSD but Linux isn't affected because "bash" doesn't
implement "set -e" properly:

tron@excalibur:~>bash --version
GNU bash, version 3.2.17(1)-release (powerpc-apple-darwin9.0)
tron@excalibur:~>bash
bash-3.2$ set -e
bash-3.2$ false && true
bash-3.2$ true && false

NetBSD's "sh" now implements both cases correctly;

tron@colwyn:/src/NetBSD-current/src/bin/sh>./sh
$ set -e
$ false && true
tron@colwyn:/src/NetBSD-current/src/bin/sh>./sh
$ set -e
$ true && false

I think it would probably be best to back those commits out for
further study.

I concur.

I diasgree. Please have a look this change:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-changes/2008/05/26/msg005942.html

It is an example of bad shell programming that got exposed by the "sh" fixes.
So please fix "pkgsrc" instead.

        Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                           http://zhadum.org.uk/