ALPS UltraNav (ThinkPad R61) Support

   I recently purchased a ThinkPad R61 and have been doing pretty
well with it except for the touchpoint/touchpad. Motions and buttons
work, but I don't get touchpad scrolling and tapping is enabled,
both of which I find annoying.  Based on the following web site
I'm guessing is because the device is really an ALPS, and isn't
recognized as being Synaptics compatible, so the support isn't
enabled.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/UltraNav

   Has anyone looked into matching and enabling Synaptics support
for this device? Any pointers would be helpful.

   Thanks.

                                        Gary Duzan