Re: Switching from IDE AHCI... reinstall necessary?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Well, i had to install netbsd asap, and started to install using ide controller. I have only one disk, and netbsd-4.99.62 recognized it as single disk using sata controller: I remember there was notice during installation "There is one disk and you will install netbsd on wd0" -- or something similar.

Regards,
Cem

Simon Burge wrote:
Cem Kayali wrote:

Well, unfortunately i have 250 GB SATA hard disk without AHCI support. I
need to enable IDE support through bios it seems.=20

I wonder, (if it is supported in the future), and i enable AHCI, will it be
necessary to re-install everything?

If you have more than one controller type on your system with disks
attached then I guess there's a slight chance your disks might get
renumbered.  For example, what was "wd0" before might possibly be "wd1"
or something different if your controller is matched by a different
driver.

At worst, you'd need to adjust your /etc/fstab.  I suspect that's not
too likely.  You'll defintely not need to re-install though.

Cheers,
Simon.