Re: journaling integration in current?

Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> there were some announcements about FFS getting journalling in -current
> some weeks ago. I wanted to ask what the status is to enable this?
> I haven't seen any switches in sysinst - is this enabled by default,
> or is it missing? Where do I find the documentation to enable this
> manually?

There's a couple of issues that still need to be resolved:

 - kern/38057.  This has two effects: your root FS can't be journaled
   and you need a ffs /dev (ie, you can't use an mfs or tmpfs /dev).

 - Joerg has seen some panics when bulk-building.  Both have the same
   trace:

        panic
        ffs_blkfree
        ffs_wapbl_sync_metadata
        wapbl_flush
        ffs_full_fsync
        ffs_fsync
        layer_bypass
        VOP_FSYNC
        sys_fsync
        syscall

   The two were:

        panic: blkfree: bad size
        panic: blkfree: freeing free frag

 - Joerg and I have both seen processes block on "tstile" and the system
   then slowly grinds to a halt.  At least for me this is with a SMP
   machine, I'm not sure what Joerg has.

 - Documentation, documentation, documentation.

Cheers,
Simon.