etcupdate questions

Used etcupdate today to update from 4.0_RC4 to 4.99.55.

1) If DOES_EXIST=false (missing) shouldn't it just install the new file
(since there is nothing to overwrite)?

If not, maybe add a switch for that like:

  -n    Automatically install new files that do not exist locally.

2) Any reason to check the /etc/mtree/set.* specifications manually? Are
these files ever customized? It just seems like a lot to manually review
so I wonder if these should just be replaced?

3) What about automatically replacing files where only the CVS ident
changes? I had many, but for one example, the only change is:

-#      $NetBSD: master.cf,v 1.14.2.1 2007/06/16 16:56:55 snj Exp $
+#      $NetBSD: master.cf,v 1.15 2007/05/19 17:49:39 heas Exp $

4) Some output is too short to be paged but scrolls past when etcupdate
menu is displayed. Any option for "more" to not exit (like less) if output
is more than 10 lines?  (Yes, I know I could choose "less" or use my
console to scroll back in console history.)

5) Maybe "s" menu choice should say: (same as "su") or repeat that it is
diff -u also.  Or just get rid of the "su" option as it is redundant (and
mention diff -u above).

6) Maybe add a verbose to the install_checksum() function? Maybe:

verbose "Saving MD5 checksum for ${1} to /var/etcupdate/${1}"

If you want me to handle any of the above, tell me.

I have used your etcupdate many times. (I stopped updating my update_etc
script back in 2002.) Thank you!

  Jeremy C. Reed