Re: printer recommendations

Johnny Billquist wrote:
> Geert Hendrickx skrev:
>> On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 09:05:55AM +1100, Daniel Carosone wrote:
>>> CUPS, period.
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> I never really liked CUPS, it's so complex and bloated.
>>
>> Plain lpd + pkgsrc/print/magicfilter (for postscript-to-native
>> conversion)
>> works fine for me with several different HP printers.
>
> I agree. The only thing I haven't figured out (much due to the fact that
> I haven't even tried) is getting duplex printing to work (printing on
> both sides on printers capable of that).

You can also use apsfilter with lpr for native-to-postscript conversions
(to spool documents).

For the duplex printing issue, it should be possible to achieve lpr+PPD
support with tools such as gpr, from the dead GNUlpr project:
http://lpr.sourceforge.net/gnulpr-announcement.html

I could compile it with a few patches but it doesn't work out of the box.

I also believe that NetBSD's lpr already has IPP support.

HTH,
--
khorben