Re: printer recommendations

Johnny C. Lam <jlam%pkgsrc.org@localhost> schrieb:
> What exactly is it that makes NetBSD's lpr/lpd incompatible with the
> foomatic-filters and foomatic-ppds packages from pkgsrc?  Part of the
> reason I made those packages was because it was supposed to allow *any*
> printing system to use PPDs, e.g. for lpr/lpd:
>
> myqueue|My local Kyocera printer:\
>      :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
>      :af=/usr/pkg/share/foomatic/ppd/Kyocera/Kyocera-FS-1010-ljet4.ppd:\
>      :if=/usr/pkg/bin/foomatic-rip:\
>      :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
>      :mx#0:sh:

Yes, that works for me, too. However, AFAICT, it's currently
impossible to pass any (printer specific) options (for instance
regarding desired output quality) to foomatic via lpr/lpd on a
per-job basis. Maybe see the (very short) thread on tech-userlevel@
for more details. I'm aware that one in principle could solve this
using custom shell scripts and option-specific printcap entires or
similar, but I think it would be a lot more convenient to simply
put

:pd=/path/to/ppd:\
:if=/path/to/foomatic:\
#:af=/path/to/true/accountingfile:\

per printer into /etc/printcap and pass "-Z <desiredoptions>" to
lpr upon printing.

Regards,

--
Dennis den Brok