Re: printer recommendations

So, let me see if I can summarize.  The two camps are:

- Vanilla lpd, based on simplicity
- CUPS, because of features/PPD support/networking browsing/...

No one seems to advocate LPRng, which I guess tells me that I clearly
picked the wrong horse.

I admit that I was hesitant to use CUPS, because it seemed to be only a
client thing (that's what cups.org focuses on), and, well, the web page
implies that you need to run a frickin' web server to configure it.
But maybe I didn't give it a chance or look at it closely enough.

My network printer (an HP 2605DN) works _okay_ with my LPRng server ... but
it has vague problems with it, and getting things like plain text printing
to work seems to require some additional bits that I haven't yet figured
out.  But sadly this printer seems to be slightly buggy enough that it
has a number of annoyances with LPRng, and I think that to make it work better
I will need the extra smarts that CUPS provides.  I appreciate all of
the input!

It seems that I've learned rather late that HP, a once-good printer company,
now has products that are clearly second-rate.  What a bummer.

--Ken