Re: printer recommendations

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 08:58:40PM +1100, Daniel Carosone wrote:
|On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 09:41:02AM +0100, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
|> On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 09:05:55AM +1100, Daniel Carosone wrote:
|> > CUPS, period.
|>
|> Why?
|
|Because it successfully removes the requirement for me to have to
|think about printing.  On the rare occasions when I do need to print,
|it JFW - particularly when I point it at some customer's random
|network printer.

serious question for those who do use CUPS - on my father's machine
any file sent through CUPS results in a single blank page, whether
sent to a printer on the local parallel port or to a new networked
printer.  Both are PostScript printers and the files being sent are
also PostScript.

If I send the files directly to the printer (using cat to the lp0
device or netcat to the JetDirect port) it prints without issues
... which is implying that something is wrong with the spooler
somewhere ... how would I go about trying to fix something like
this?

It's extremely frustrating - at least with lpd I know where everything
is and it's pretty simple to diagnose a fault like this ... if I
were to be called on an lpd system with similar issues I'd say that
there was a job filtering problem, but to my knowledge there shouldn't
be any filtering at all in the entire path ...

The annoying thing has been that this install did work at one point
but then after some time stopped working for an unknown reason ...
does CUPS do any logging somewhere that I can take a peek at?

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch%mjch.net@localhost                                                left