Workaround for Firefox crashiness

Heyas folks --

If anybody has been annoyed like I have been about Firefox crashing frequently with many tabs/windows open, I've found a workaround after digging through a 70MB ktrace.

Basically, firefox runs out of file descriptors and freaks out. Maybe it's a side effect of having lots of fonts installing from pkgsrc, I'm not sure. In any case, bumping openfiles before launching firefox has made the problem disappear for me.

ksh:
 $ ulimit -n 512
 $ firefox

or login.conf:

 default:\
        :openfiles-cur=512:

Has made things work much smoother for me.

Hope this helps,
Jared