Subject: Re: loss root passwd after install amd64cd.iso from
To: abutter gao <abutter.gao@gmail.com>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 12/20/2007 13:55:12
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, abutter gao wrote:
> System hang after printing "umount file systems... done", so I had to
> reboot my HPV3183 by the power button. But I tried to input the
> password but couldn't login anymore, and I bet I didn't take the wrong
> password.
>
> so I think perhaps the sysinst didn't save the password to file
> really, or there was something wrong else.

Yes, I've seen that on a -current from a couple of days ago. I couldn't
log in as root on a fresh install. I couldn't login on any account with no
password. The message was odd too as it was reporting "foo" as the
terminal name instead of ttyE0 or console.

I found that running postinstall fixed it though.

I also saw that MAKEDEV failed on bio during installation, so this perhaps
aborted the install.

--
Stephen