Subject: etcupdate and atf-run.hooks
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Sarton O'Brien <bsd-xen@roguewrt.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/20/2007 12:27:02
Hi all,

For the first time I ran into:

make: don't know how to make atf-run.hooks. Stop

Which I've since realised can be overcome with 'etcupdate -s etc.tgz'
but ... when I ran into the problem I issued the command again and it
prompted to continue, which I said yes to.

Not being a system I care about, I allowed it to update most things
blindly. It wasn't until I actually read what I was answering yes to,
that I realised it was replacing files it ought not to
(pwd.db/utmp/lastlog etc).

That aside, I fixed most of what problems had been created but when
attempting to log into the console (this is a domu) as root, I get:

Login incorrect or refused on this terminal.
pam_securetty[344]: LOGIN root REFUSED ON TTY foo
login: 1 LOGIN FAILURE ON foo

So 'console' has now changed to foo, which is curious and I don't know
where to change this back. I'd imagine if foo was secure it would log in
just fine but I haven't tested.

Thanks for any info.

Sarton