Subject: Re: kde requirements?
To: Mark Kirby <mark@fishladder.co.uk>
From: Sarton O'Brien <bsd-xen@roguewrt.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/20/2007 10:00:28
Mark Kirby wrote:
> I'm interested to know what integration or lack thereof made you decide
> to switch? I ask because it may be an area we can improve on. HAL
> integration doesn't really buy you anything you cant do already. Granted
> the kde -> hal interface make mounting a disk user friendly but in terms
> of functionality it doesnt add much else. But i agree with you that
> linux integration does produce a more user-friendly desktop for the more
> casual user.

You're spot on, but it's that feature alone that makes the difference to
a windows user. I've never enjoyed the 'mount/unmount' conversation.
Detecting the button push on a cdrom and it tranparently performing what
is required, with the icon appearing/dissappearing makes more sense to
your casual PC user than telling the OS to do it for you.

>>> Is there something you specifically need?
>>
>> Nothing specific, unfortunately it's the bells and whistles that make
>> it an attractive alternative for windows users. Despite some
>> permission configuration requirements, KDE is quite usable for
>> somebody with no previous *nix experience. When everything on KDE
>> functions, I consider it a drop-in replacement for windows and up to
>> now, arch linux is about the only os/distro I can bare to use. Being
>> bleeding edge, I was unsure as to how far behind NetBSD might be
>> feature-wise, where KDE is concerned.
>
> Again if you could let me know what features you are missing i'll see
> what i can find out about it.

I believe, with hal, I'd be content. Having used a lot of *nix
derivitives (if you can call them that now) arch is the only one that
can do everything almost out of the box
(kde/hal/dri/compiz-fusion/suspend/resume) and do it leanly. I can
install the whole kit on an ibm R51 with a radeon 7500m and it runs
better than vista on something 2 - 4x as powerful, with better 3d effects.

I'm hoping down the track that I can start to use NetBSD, it just needs
that superficial 'wow' factor. Personally I feel NetBSD is already
superior in performance, it's just the standard desktop integration
stuff that everyone has been plugging away at for as long as I can remember.

So short answer, no, there's nothing else KDE related (although I
haven't checked on the windows mobile pda sync stuff for a while) and
everything else is being tackled in current, which I find quite exciting :)

> I cant give any times and i don't want to make estimates for other
> people :) I would expect that the kde4 packages will be ready around the
> time kde4 is released or a little after. But it depends on peoples free
> time. As for hal and associated things that may be a long way of, but i
> guess it will get there in the end :)

Yep, that's what I thought. My hope would be mid to late next year, I'll
keep my fingers crossed :)

Sarton