Subject: Re: Call for testers: ACPI suspend/resume, part 2
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
From: Rhialto <rhialto@falu.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/2007 23:05:58
On Tue 18 Dec 2007 at 18:40:15 -0500, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, Rhialto wrote:
> >I'll stick with APM then, since that works. Is there no possibility to
> >gain any other advantages ACPI might have and still use APM for
> >suspending?
>
> Actually, I haven't tested APM with pmf -- does it still work? :-)

joerg's kernel apparently only has "apm* at acpi*", not "apm0 at
mainbus0", so my test with userconf "disable acpi" is somewhat
limited.

- Pressing Fn-F1, the sleep button, still makes the machine sleep.
  (With ACPI it would print a message but not sleep).
- I do get messages about errors with the USB controllers when it wakes
  up. (same as below)
- /usr/bin/zzz says "zzz: cannot open connection to APM daemon: No such
  file or directory".

halt -p does not power off. (With acpi enabled it does: it mutters about
entering state 5 first).

So APM without support in the kernel partially works.

My installed system is from 14 december, just before the changes we're
really discussing, but if I apm-suspend with that, there are the same
complaints about usb and it doesn't work afterward (but I've seen
discussion about that already).

    uhci1: host system error
    uhci1: host controller halted
    uhci0: host system error
    uhci0: host controller halted

This is also a common message I see on various occasions:

    Devices without power management support: viaide0 vr0 lpt0 pckbc0 pcppi0 spkr0 fdc0 fd0

Maybe GENERIC should have "apm0 at mainbus0" so that the "real" APM
can be used with userconf and "disable acpi".

> Jared
-Olaf.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl        -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.