Subject: Re: Should drvctl be enabled by default?
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/16/2007 15:33:02
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 10:26:06 -0500 (EST)
"Jared D. McNeill" <jmcneill@invisible.ca> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > That's an interesting thought.  The new PM code won't suspend if
> > there are any devices present that don't use pmf.  Could I detach
> > them and reattach them instead?
> No. The purpose of not suspending with pmf-unaware drivers is so
> people with the hardware will submit patches, not for you to find
> another clever way to workaround the issue. Jared

It's not clear to me that it's really a work-around, as opposed to a
solution that leverages code that's already there.  Remember that I
have two different needs: certainly, the desire to improve NetBSD, but
also the need for a stable, full-function platform that I can use to
get my day job done.  My question was addressing the latter.