Subject: Re: kernel panics: lock error (mutex)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Arto Selonen <arto@selonen.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/13/2007 16:57:11
Hi!

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007, Arto Selonen wrote:

> Anyway, for roughly the past month or so, the system has crashed with kernel
> panics, appearing as fast as one day after a reboot, up to running about a
> week or so. Most of the panics have been mutex-related, but I haven't written
> down details as I've expected it to be some transient problem with current,
> that goes away in a future upgrade, and so have simply grabbed the latest
> sources, upgraded and tried again. Here is the latest panic report, copied
> from screen (no serial console), that appeared while building yet another
> upgrade from a couple of days ago:
> (this one was on a 3.99.39)

4.99.39, of course.

Here is a rough timeline of system stability (from logs and external
documentation):

Jan 29: upgraded to 4.99.9
Mar 28: rebooted (no documented reason)
Aug 22: rebooted (loss of electricity in building)
Aug 30: rebooted (loss of network connectivity, fixed by reboot)
Sep 10: rebooted (loss of network connectivity, fixed by reboot)
Sep 11: upgraded to 4.99.31
Sep 13: rebooted (kernel panic)
Sep 13: upgraded (still 4.99.31)
Oct 10: rebooted (loss of electricity in building)
Nov 14: rebooted (kernel panic, lock error)
Nov 27: rebooted (kernel panic, lock error)
Dec 03: rebooted (kernel panic, uvm?)
Dec 03: upgraded to 4.99.38
Dec 03: rebooted (kernel panic, lock error)
Dec 04: upgraded to 4.99.39
Dec 12: rebooted (kernel panic, lock error)
Dec 13: rebooted (kernel panic, lock error)

Currently building sources...

Artsi
--
Everstinkuja 5 B 35                               Don't mind doing it.