Subject: Re: ssh x-forwarding doesn't work with the current X setup in pkgsrc
To: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@twofifty.com>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 12/04/2007 22:58:48
On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 10:03:08AM -0800, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
> I may have things misconfigured (again) but ssh is looking for xauth in
> /usr/X11R6 which, on my system, is a link to /usr/pkg/xorg.

That seems to be relict of a previous installation of monolithic X.org
which has been removed from "pkgsrc" a while ago.

> Unfortunately, all my xorg stuff seems to be mixed into the usual
> /usr/pkg hierarchy without the extra xorg directory.

This is how it is supposed to be with modular X.org which replaced
monolithic X.org.

> The symlink seems to be /usr/X11R6 -> /usr/pkg.

That is correct for modular X.org.

> This breaks X forwarding using ssh.

May I ask why you don't correct the symlink?

> If anyone else sees this, I'll send a pr.

I'm sorry I don't think there is any reason to send a PR. sshd(8) in
NetBSD's base system looks for "xauth" in "/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth"
which is where that command is located in the NetBSD X11 distribution.
There is IMHO nothing wrong with that behavior.

You have two options to fix that:
1.) Correct the symbolic "/usr/X11R6".
2.) Add "XAuthLocation /usr/pkg/bin/xauth" to "/etc/ssh/sshd_config"
    and run "/etc/rc.d/sshd reload" afterwards.

	Kind regards