Subject: Re: Heads up
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/03/2007 12:29:06
On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 06:21:59PM +0000, Andrew Doran wrote:
> - Soft interrupts are now threaded, so it's possible to take adaptive mutexes
>   and reader/writer locks from a soft interrupt (for example, in a callout).
>   These have no ordering constraint against kernel_lock and so are "deadlock
>   free" in that respect.

How will this affect the performance of soft interrupts?  I saw a marked
performance improvement in gre(4) when I made it use software interrupts
instead of a thread.  Do you think that the improvement will disappear
if I measure again, now?

Dave

dyoung@ojctech.com      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24