Subject: Re: 4.99.36 very unstable for me(tm)
To: Andrew Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/18/2007 07:20:25
On Sun, 18 Nov 2007, Andrew Doran wrote:

> I think this is hardware related. What kind of CPU do you have? Here are
> some of the nastier kernel bugs in -current I know about:
>
> - I've seen two reports of an assertion failure in uvm_fault.c.

I've had this happen on two completely different motherboards, so I am
quite sure it's not hardware related!  Repeatable for me just by
exitting from an xterm window.  Doesn't matter if the X display is local
or remote.  Funny thing, if I 'kill -KILL' the xterm process, it dies
gracefully, but exitting from xterm kills the kernel.  Once I got a
reference to sme_events_worker in the panic message, but that doesn't
happen every time.  (Usually no additional messages at all.)

I've got the whole 4GB crash file and kernel available if anyone wants
to look into it further!  :)  (And gzipping the crash file saves very
little, less than 10%.)

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul@whooppee.com   |
| Network Engineer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette@juniper.net |