Subject: Re: Huawei E220 support?
To: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
From: Marco Trillo <marcotrillo@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/17/2007 17:41:21
Hi,

On 11/17/07, Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 17, 2007 at 03:34:43PM +0100, Marco Trillo wrote:
> > ubsa0: ubsa_request: STALLED
> > but the serial link works.
>
> this is caused by the modem control commands that the device doesn't
> understand. I have a new version of ubsa.c (not committed yet) that
> should behave better.

Nice :-)

> > Anyway I just commented out this command and it seems to work just
> > fine... except that just after connecting, it hangs up immediately.
>
> That's ppp disconnecting, you will see more when you enable debugging
> on the ppp0 interface.
>
> > Perhaps this is a defective pppd configuration.
>
> Yes and no. You ask for a PPP option that the modem doesn't understand
> (you talk PPP to the modem in the card).
>
> > Any ideas?
>
> Try:
>
> connect 'chat -v -f your-connect-script'
> nodefaultroute
> ipcp-accept-local
> ipcp-accept-remote
> noipv6
> nodetach
> noauth
> local
>
> as options for pppd. Some providers may require some dummy PAP/CHAP
> authentication. t-mobile here does not.

Well, using your parameters it works! Thank you very much!
It seems that my provider does require a dummy authentication:

$ cat /etc/ppp/peers/vodafone
ttyU0
230400
[...]
user vodafone
password vodafone

pppd[2300]: Serial connection established.
pppd[2300]: Using interface ppp0
pppd[2300]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyU0
pppd[2300]: CHAP authentication suceeded
pppd[2300]: CHAP authentication suceeded

I'm sending this message with it :-)

Thanks,
Marco.