Subject: Re: Inverted boot problem for a Mac Mini
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
From: Johan Ihren <johani@johani.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/14/2007 10:46:24
Hi,

> 	Well, a quick web search reveals that I was mistaken about the
> bootability of bootcamp directly.  Some further thoughts.
>
> 1.  Although it might seem counter intuitive, you probably can boot a
> Windows XP cd, just as you can boot NetBSD, and so could install
> Windows to
> your hard disk.  Then, you could install the Bootcamp drivers under
> Windows, which might set things back to rights.

I'm in the blissful state of not having access to a Windows CD ;-)

> 2.  In some notes I found on putting Linux on one's powerpc mini, it
> discusses the need to put gpt labels on the disk as well as MBR
> partitions.
> I know you said you trried your untouched Mac OS X disk, and it didn't
> work, but I wonder if there's some sort of flash inside the unit that
> stores some sort of gpt label that got zorched somehow?

I completely agree. That's my suspicion too. However I do note that
the unability to boot GPT-dependent things like Mac OS X and unability
to listen to the keyboard seems to be two different things, both bad.
So it is not only the GPT issue that's troubling the box.

> 3.  Since you've opened up the unit to switch hard drives, did you
> also try
> removing any batteries from the motherboard and wandering off for an
> extended lunch before putting them back and trying again?

Yep, did that. No change.

> 4.  Do you have another mac with Mac OS X installed?  If so, then
> perhaps
> you can repartition with a 200MB FAT partition as the first
> partition on
> your hard drive to put the refit utility in and thus boot into that
> and get
> things going.  Instructions at:
>          http://felipe-alfaro.org/blog/2006/09/19/installing-refit-on-the-hidden-efi-system-partition/

Also a good idea. Did that, but no change. Sigh.

I've completely run out of time for dealing with this and the Mini has
now gone to see its maker...

> 	Hope that helps.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Johan