Subject: Re: ACPI S4BIOS support
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org, port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/12/2007 23:17:16
	I'm not sure what all the sleep levels are, but I think s3 is sleep to
RAM, and S4 is sleep to disk.  Right now NetBSD doesn't have any support
for S4, and the question is, should  the support that it might have be
ripped out?
	The sysctl you're asking about exists in code starting with NetBSD-4
and if you set the variable to 3, your machine should sleep to ram and,
when you wake it up with the power button, it should come back to where it
was before you put it to sleep thusly.  There are /etc/powerd scripts which
can do this sysctl write for you, so you can get normal behavior like
closing the lid and having your laptop go to sleep.
	For my part, I'd like to see slee to disk supported at some point, so
ripping out what support alreadypotentially exists seems counter productive
from my perspective.  Having said that, I have no idea how hard this is to
implement, but having that functionality would be great.  My 5 year old
Windows XP  laptop does this, and I like the feature a lot even though I
never use Windows.  If I could do it with NetBSD, I'd be tickled pink
because it could mean I could get up and running on a laptop so much faster,
even one that had been sleeping for a couple of weeks.
-Brian