Subject: Re: Alpha/beta releases of ISC DHCPD and BIND 9 in -current?
To: M Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/10/2007 14:54:18
On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 12:27:02PM -0600, M Graff wrote:

> What do people think about the idea of tracking these pre-release
> versions up to the next major release, and doing so for the next
> alpha/beta/release cycle?  I'm obviously volunteering to maintain them
> in -current, either out of my own time or as part of my work at ISC.  As
> a developer at ISC, I believe I'll be a good judge of when to pull in
> the next pre-release code set, and keep compiles working and the runtime
> not crashing.

I think this is a very good idea for how to keep bind and dhcp up to
date in NetBSD-current.

There's been a problem with bloat of BIND and DHCP.  They're important,
but every version gets larger and they have made our base+etc minimal
installation increase in size several times.  I adjusted our BIND build
about a week ago to at least use shared versions of the libraries it builds
(I was going to do this for DHCP but the space savings looked minimal; a lot
of the bloat in DHCP is in tables that aren't used, etc but which get built
into the actual executables, not the libraries where they could be shared,
it looked like to me); as you update our BIND and DHCP in NetBSD perhaps
you could keep an eye out for opportunities to adjust their builds so the
total size goes down, not up?

Thor