Subject: bnx problems with gif
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@iki.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 10/22/2007 15:12:31
Hi,

We replace our "old" firewall (NetBSD/i386 3.1.1 with four Intel PRO dual-port
cards) with a new PowerEdge 2900 (NetBSD/amd64 4.0_RC3) and used the two
built-in bnx(4) interfaces together with vlan(4) to configure 8 networks.

Later we noticed that we lost our IPv6 connectivity, outgoing echo request from
"ping6 www.kame.net" was visible on gif0 and the tunneled packet appeared on the
physical interface (bnx0). We also detected the tunneled reply packet on bnx0
but the raw IPv6 never appeared on the tunnel interface, with or without firewall.

After several hours of testing and head scratching we added one of the old
dual-port cards and disabled both bnx interfaces in the BIOS, ran s/bnx/wm/g
under /etc, rebooted and everything worked as expected.

Has anybody else had these kind of problems with bnx?

Martti