Subject: Re: tooldir.NetBSD-4.99.31-i386/bin/nbconfig: not found
To: Sarton O'Brien <bsd-xen@roguewrt.org>
From: Kenneth Freidank <kennethcf@earthlink.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/13/2007 11:56:10
Sarton O'Brien wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:37:09 pm Kenneth Freidank wrote:
>
>> I thought "build.sh" would always use defaults if you did not specify.
>> I did not specify the tools directory when I built the release, so
>> "build.sh" created a default dir.  I did not specify a tools dir when
>> building my kernel (kernel=T5048), so I assumed "build.sh" would use the
>> default, but apparently that did not work.
>>

> Certain parameters apply defaults when they are not explicitly stated.
>
> Tools is particularly picky due to the nature of an independent build
> environment.
>
> When doing bulk builds like distribution and release, it will assume a tooldir
> location based on the active kernel, as you have witnessed from previous
> experience ;)
>

>> To keep from tripping myself during further OS builds, I will always
>> specify a tools directory..
>>     - OR -
>> ...write down the tools dir created by the first execution of tools,
>> build, distribution, or release, and then specify that directory in all
>> subsequent builds.
>>

> The default tooldir will always be named after the active kernel.
>
> Testing a generic invocation of:
>
> ./build.sh kernel=GENERIC
>
> on my system here finds the tooldir associated with my active kernel with no
> errors.
>

>> Does anyone know if a similar situation exists with either the "obj"
>> (i.e. -O option) or "destdir" (i.e. -D option) directories?  Must I
>> always specify them as well in some build.sh commands?
>>

> Generally ... no, assuming you are specifying the right parameter to
> build.sh ... but ... in instances where you experience a build failure and
> no-one else is, it can be useful to start with a clean obj dir.
>
> Having double-checked how my system responds to the scenarios you have listed,
> I would say your best bet to avoid trouble when building is to initiate a:
>
> ./build.sh tools
>
> Which you are probably getting sick of hearing :)
>
> Sarton

Thanks.  I will watch what build.sh tells me for its output directories
from now on, and subsequently specify them on following builds.

I must have used a current that was newer than the RC2 tar set, so now
I'm stuck waiting for a current that will build completely to release
and make a complete iso image.  I don't know how to gen a CD iso file
without getting a successful build release.  The release build fails on
the latest current.  See new Subject "Build release current 10/06/2007
fails".