Subject: Re: EIST not detected on AMD64 w/E6600
To: Scott Ellis <scotte@warped.com>
From: Dave B <spam@y2007.dberg.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/12/2007 04:34:23
On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 07:03:07PM -0700, Scott Ellis wrote:
> There's no mention of "SpeedStep" there, even though EST and TM2 are in
> the features2 list.  After boot, there's no machdep.est.* branch.
>
> I've tried enabling and disabling EIST in the BIOS (as well as the silly

  My laptop's NetBSD4/i386 installation was also refusing to offer
me the machdep.est.* branch--but only when it was running on
battery.  When plugged in to AC instead, est.* items were avail-
able.

  This certainly did surprise me; but I checked the BIOS setup and
noticed that separate power settings were available for Battery
operation and AC operation--and my setting for AC was "Automatic",
whereas for Battery it was "Battery Optimized".  When I changed the
latter to "Automatic", the problem went away and the est.* items
showed up under battery operation, too.

  It's a long shot that you have the same situation, especially
given that you've already explicitly combed your BIOS setup for
the answer; but that's my story, just in case.

Cheers,  --Dave