Subject: EIST not detected on AMD64 w/E6600
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Scott Ellis <scotte@warped.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/11/2007 19:03:07
I've got an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe with an E6600 CPU that I'm trying to get
up and running, and can't seem to figure out why SpeedStep (EIST) isn't
getting detected.

My kernel has:

options         ENHANCED_SPEEDSTEP
options         EST_FREQ_USERWRITE      # any user can set frequency

On boot, I see:

NetBSD 4.99.33 (INTREPID.NEWBOX) #1: Thu Oct 11 17:35:30 PDT 2007
	scotte@intrepid:/nbu/source/netbsd/src/obj.amd64/nbu/source/netbsd/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/INTREPID.NEWBOX
total memory = 2047 MB
avail memory = 1960 MB
timecounter: Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec
timecounter: Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 100
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0 apid 0: (boot processor)
cpu0: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6600  @ 2.40GHz, 2404.23 MHz
cpu0: features: bffbfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR>
cpu0: features: bffbfbff<PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,B20,DS,ACPI,MMX>
cpu0: features: bffbfbff<FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,SBF>
cpu0: features2: e3bd<SSE3,MONITOR,DS-CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,xTPR,PDCM>
cpu0: features3: bffbfbff<SYSCALL/SYSRET,XD,EM64T>
cpu0: L2 cache 4 MB 64B/line 16-way
cpu0: calibrating local timer
cpu0: apic clock running at 267 MHz
cpu0: 64 page colors
cpu1 at mainbus0 apid 1: (application processor)
cpu1: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6600  @ 2.40GHz, 2404.11 MHz
cpu1: features: bffbfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR>
cpu1: features: bffbfbff<PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,B20,DS,ACPI,MMX>
cpu1: features: bffbfbff<FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,SBF>
cpu1: features2: e3bd<SSE3,MONITOR,DS-CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,xTPR,PDCM>
cpu1: features3: bffbfbff<SYSCALL/SYSRET,XD,EM64T>
cpu1: L2 cache 4 MB 64B/line 16-way
[snip]

There's no mention of "SpeedStep" there, even though EST and TM2 are in
the features2 list.  After boot, there's no machdep.est.* branch.

I've tried enabling and disabling EIST in the BIOS (as well as the silly
"Digital Home" and "Overclock" features), on the off chance that they
were preventing something from working (seems unlikely since the
features are listed during cpu probe), to no avail.

Ideas on what to try?

	ScottE