Subject: Re: Less than 50% battery life wrt Win
To: C. K. <ck74@operamail.com>
From: Michal Suchanek <hramrach@centrum.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 10/10/2007 06:44:57
On 05/10/2007, C. K. <ck74@operamail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Because i was busy with graphic card, software installation issues, i havent
> noticed untill today that battery life of new notebook is incredibly low.
>
> It has core duo processor. Battery life with MS Win is about 2 hours 45 mins
> while it is about 1h 20 mins with netbsd 4.99.31
>
> This is really bad, so i believe there is problem somewhere. APM shows there
> are two batteries.

Since APM is quite old, Win does acpi for quite some time, and the
hardware is quite new, I would think you would get better times with
acpi. However, apm has much longer supported in NetBSD than acpi so
ymmv. I am not sure what these new CPUs use for frequency scaling.
Some use acpi, some use other means. But you could give an acpi kernel
a try.

Thanks

Michal