Subject: Re: i386/amd64 MP system needed
To: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/2007 11:55:59
--q9KOos5vDmpwPx9o

On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 12:21:17PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> as you might know, I am currently working on the ACPI S3 support for
> i386 and amd64 systems. The basic UP supports seems to work fine now,
> but MP still has a lot of issues. Sadly, I don't have any access to
> usable hardware to trace down this issues as the only system I have
> would be a Dell machine with broken BIOS and no serial interface.
> Is there someone to help with such a system? Germany would be prefered
> of course to keep shipping small, I'm living in Rostock. I would expect
> that I need a week or so to hopefully sort out all the major issues
> left, so borrowing it is entirely fine.

How important is physical location? I can offer serial console and
(with a little fiddling) remote power control on a P4-D .. Dell,
possibly with the same broken BIOS.  I'm not certain how much serial
BIOS support it has, though it's supposedly a "server" (SC430).  I
have a bunch of other rackmount dell servers which I know do have
serial bios+IPMI that could be made accessible, though i'm not sure
offhand which are 64-bit capable.

Alternately, I can just help running tests and reporting results, in
the hope that a more direct hardware offer appears.

I'm also happy to help sponsor a suitable machine, as I suspect others
would be, since your work is clearly already demonstrating very good
results. This could easily cost little more than non-local shipping.

--
Dan.

--q9KOos5vDmpwPx9o

--q9KOos5vDmpwPx9o--