Subject: Re: USE_SSP
To: Juan RP <juan@xtrarom.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/29/2007 16:05:48
On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 12:25:55AM +0200, Juan RP wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 16:23:58 -0600
> "John R. Shannon" <john@johnrshannon.com> wrote:
>
> > What does USE_SSP=YES do now? It does not compile the kernel with
> > -fstack-protector
>
> USE_FORT is the one to build a kernel with -fstack-protector.

I don't think this is how it's _supposed_ to be.  Are we talking about
netbsd-4 or -current?  If the former, xtos' patch to pull up the USE_SSP/
USE_FORT support might be broken.  If the latter, there is probably a
mistake in my changes that reorganized the USE_SSP support and added
USE_FORT.

USE_FORT just builds userland code with -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2, which is
not presently useful for the kernel.

Thor